The 5311 program is intended to provide financial assistance for the support of public transportation services, which are open to the public on an equal basis in areas outside of an urbanized area of less than 50,000 population.
The 5311 funds can be used for the costs of transit planning activities, transit operations and purchase of capital equipment or facilities to aid in provision of transit services in rural and small urban areas, as well as provide funds for state-level administration. Federal regulation requires that 15% percentage of these funds be reserved each year to support an Intercity Bus Program, unless the Governor of a state certifies that intercity bus needs in the state are being met.
Through the Section 5311 Program, the Office of Transportation Delivery provides administrative, operating and capital assistance to public transportation projects in nonurbanized (rural) areas. The program goals are:
- Assist in meeting the transportation needs of transit-dependent people and to enhance access to health care, shopping, education, employment, public services, and recreation;
- Assist in the maintenance, development, improvement and use of public transportation systems;
- Encourage and facilitate the most efficient use of all federal funds used to provide passenger transportation in non-urbanized areas through the coordination of programs and services;
- Assist in the development and support of intercity bus transportation; and
- Provide for the participation of private transportation providers in nonurbanized transportation to the maximum extent feasible.
Application Documentation for 5311 Grant Documents
SFY2024 Section 5311 - Application Checklist (July 2023 - June 2024)
SFY2024 Section 5311 - Certifications and Assurances (July 2023 - June 2024)
SFY2024 Section 5311 - Intercity Bus Assurance (July 2023 - June 2024)
SFY2024 Federal Model Clauses (July 2023 - June 2024)