The Adopt-A-Highway program is a statewide effort to reduce roadside litter and to keep Kentucky’s highways beautiful. Litter-free roads promote a clean environment, foster civic pride and save taxpayer dollars.
Kentucky has participated in the International Adopt-A-Highway Program since 1988. We have 26,000 miles of State Primary, State Secondary, State Supplemental and Rural Secondary Roads. We do not cover any interstates or parkways. Currently, there are nearly 700 Adopt-A-Highway Groups in the state, focusing on 4,800 miles of road. With move involvement, we can maintain more roads.
Adopt-a-Highway Program Information:
- There is no fee associated with adopting a roadway.
- Any permanently established business, association, community or public organization, or government entity can adopt a stretch of highway.
- Participants must be at least 13 years of age. Anyone under age 18 must be supervised by an adult.
- Participation in the Adopt-a-Highway program is on a strictly volunteer basis. KYTC does not compensate groups or individual participants.
- Groups agree to adopt a minimum of two miles for a period of two years. Volunteer groups may renew the contract at the end of the two years.
- Groups commit to at least four cleanups a year, three of which are scheduled by KYTC.
- Cleanups involve both sides of the road within the adopted section.
- Filled bags will be picked up by KYTC Maintenance Crews if requested.
- KYTC provides volunteer groups with safety vests, trash bags, and warning signs.
- All groups must review roadside safety information will all participants prior to each cleanup.
- One sign will be installed on the adopted roadway with the name of the organization or group.
- Groups are asked to complete a survey after each cleanup.
- Contact one of our Adopt-A-Highway Coordinators to learn more about the program and to identify available highways. Please compete and submit an application form to the coordinator.
Spring Clean: March 19 - 25, 2018
Summer Scrub: June 18 - 24, 2018
- Fall Sweep: October 8 - 14, 2018