Department of Rural and Municipal Aid

The Department of Rural and Municipal Aid acts as the liaison to all local governments regarding transportation needs.  This Department oversees two offices: the Office of Local Programs (OLP)  and the Office of Rural and Secondary Roads (ORSR).


The Office of Local Programs administers two federally-funded programs: the Transportation Alternatives Programs (TAP) and the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program (CMAQ).  Each is a grant program which administers funds allocated by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).  Both programs conduct an application cycle in the fall wherein local governments can apply for project funding.  The Office of Local Programs has its own web page (Scroll to bottom for link).

Examples of projects include: sidewalks (ADA compliance, providing a safe route from schools or neighborhoods, pharmacies and assisted living facilities), transference of diesel busses to electronic, roundabouts, safe routes for non-drivers, bicycle or pedestrian transportation facilities, traffic flow improvements, etc.


The Office of Rural Secondary Roads administers three revenue-sharing programs funded by state motor fuel taxes as provided by Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) 177.320 through 177.366. These programs include the County and Municipal Road Aid Cooperative programs and the Rural Secondary Program. ​

 County and Municipal Road Aid

​Each fiscal year, counties and cities across our state are allocated county and municipal road aid funds. County Road Aid funding is based on the Fifths Formula, and Municipal Road Aid funding is based on population as determined by the most recent Census. These funds are to be used for the construction, reconstruction, and maintenance of county roads and city streets. Counties and cities have two choices as to how to receive their funds. They can elect to receive a monthly payment processed by the Kentucky Department for Local Government or they can opt to participate in one of the ORSR Cooperative Programs. County and city co-op members have the benefit of applying for financial assistance when an emergency road situation arises.  

Participants in the cooperative program receive a portion of their road aid funds at three times thoughout the year. Typically, the first payment is about 60% of the total anticipated road aid available to the county or city.  The second payment makes an additional 30% available, and the third and final installment is the remaining balance based on the actual revenues, tabulated after the end of the fiscal year (June 30). 

 Cooperative Program

Counties and cities who would like to participate in the cooperative program may enroll between February and April each year.  They will then enter into a contract with the Transportation Cabinet, committing to participate in the program for the entire fiscal year.  Local governments may contact our office for more information on joining the County Road Aid Cooperative Program or the Municipal Aid Cooperative Program.  502.564.2060 

 Emergency Funding

Participants in the cooperative program have 3% of their road aid funding withheld. This money is then placed in an emergency fund. (Municipal Aid Co-op and County Road Aid Co-op each have their own respective emergency fund.) Participants in the co-op program are eligible to request  funding for emergency projects. Non-participants are not.  

To request emergency funding for either the County Road Aid Co-op or Municipal Road Aid Co-op, the participating county or city must submit form TC 20-16 along with a detailed cost estimate and pictures of the existing site conditions to the Office of Rural Secondary Roads. The information provided will be reviewed, and, if approved, the applicant will be notified of approval, and 50% of the approved funding shall be issued immediately. Once the project is complete, the reimbursement process begins with completion of form TC 20-38 and supporting documentation.  

This is an 80/20 program. The state is responsible for 80% of the project cost (up to the approved amount), and the local government is responsble for 20%, as well as any costs beyond the approved amount.

 Rural Secondary Program

The Rural Secondary (RS) Program is funded by 22.2% of the motor fuels tax revenue. These funds are used for the construction, reconstruction, and maintenance of secondary and rural roads in each county. Allocation of RS funds is determined using the Fifths Formula. The Transportation Cabinet is responsible for expending all Rural Secondary Program funds.

80/20 Bridge Program
The 80/20 Bridge Program is funding set aside for each county out of the RS funding pot. These funds are to be used for drainage structure repair or replacement. To apply for these funds, the county must submit form TC 20-35, a detailed cost estimate, and pictures. The request must be for repairing or replacing an existing structure. Funds cannot be used for a new structure. If approved, the county will enter into an agreement with the Cabinet, which will fund 80% of the cost. A KYTC prequalified contractor must complete the work.

Flex Funds
Flex fund amounts are determined by the condition of the state roads in each county. The better condition the state roads in a county are in, the more flex funding the county receives. To apply for Flex Funds, the county must submit form TC 20-34. After receipt of this form, the appropriate KYTC district personnel will evaluate the roads. If there are no discrepancies, the Cabinet will enter into an agreement with the county to reimburse the county for work on the roads listed in the agreement. 

Local Roads Mapping Site:  

   Department of Rural and Municipal Aid
Bobbi Jo Lewis, Commissioner
Debra Powell, Executive Administrative Secretary
Gayle Smith, Executive Advisor

  • Office of Rural Secondary Roads
 Craig Caudill, Engineering Branch Manager
 Sara Hall, Budget Specialist​
 Kelley Johnson, Executive Staff Advisor

  • Office of Local Programs
 Mike Jones, Historic Preservation Program   Administrator
 Jackie Jones, Executive Staff Advisor
 Holly Crosthwaite, Federal Program Specialist
 Vicki Barnes, Federal Progam Specialist

 How to Report a Problem

​If you need to report a county road problem, please contact your county road department.  To report a state road problem, please contact your highway district office.
This page is maintained by, who may be contacted to make corrections or changes.

Follow Us