Office of Rural and Secondary Roads


Office of Rural Secondary Roads (ORSR)

ORSR administers three revenue sharing programs funded by state motor fuel taxes as provided by Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) 177.320 through 177.366.  These programs include the County and Municipal Road Aid Cooperative programs and the Rural Secondary Program.

County & Municipal Road Aid
Each fiscal year all counties, incorporated cities, and unincorporated urban places are allocated county and municipal road aid. County Road Aid funding is based on the Fifth's Formula and Municipal Road Aid funding is based on population as determined by the most recent Census. These funds are to be used for the construction, reconstruction, and maintenance of county roads and city streets. Counties and cities have two choices as to how to receive their funds. They can elect to receive a monthly check processed by the Kentucky Department for Local Government, or can participate in the ORSR Cooperative Programs.

Participants in the cooperative programs do not receive their road aid as a monthly check. Instead participants receive a portion of their funds 3 times a year. Typically the first check makes 60% of the total anticipated road aid available to the county or city. The second check makes an additional 30%-35% available and the third and final installment is the remaining balance based on the actual revenues tabulated after the end of the fiscal year (June 30).

Emergency Funding

Participants in the cooperative have 3% of their road aid funding withheld. This money is then placed in emergency funds. (Municipal Aid Co-op and County Road Aid Co-op each have their own respective emergency funds.) Participants in the cooperative are eligible to request emergency funding for projects. Non participants are not.

To request emergency funding for either the County Road Aid Co-op or Municipal Aid Co-op, the participating county or city must submit form TC 20-16, a detailed cost estimate and pictures of the existing site conditions to the Office of Rural Secondary Roads.  The information provided will be reviewed, and, if approved, the applicant will be notified and be paid via check at 80% of the total outlined in the detailed cost estimate. 

How to Join
If a county or city is not currently participating in the cooperative program, they may enroll between April 1 and June 30 each year. If a county or city chooses to participate, they will enter into a contract with the Transportation Cabinet committing to participate in the program for the entire fiscal year. 

For more information on joining the County Road Aid Cooperative Program or the Municipal Aid Cooperative Program, please contact our office. ​

Rural Secondary Program

The Rural Secondary (RS) Program is funded by 22.2% of the motor fuels tax revenue. These funds are used for the construction, reconstruction and maintenance of secondary and rural roads in each county. Allocation of RS funds is determined using the Fifths Formula. The Transportation Cabinet is responsible for expending all Rural Secondary Program funds.

  • 80/20 Bridge Program
    The 80/20 Bridge Program is funding set aside for each county out of the RS funding pot.  These funds are to be used for drainage structure repair or replacement.   To apply for these funds the county must submit form TC 20-35, a detailed cost estimate, and pictures.  The request must be for repairing or replacing an existing structure.  Funds cannot be used for a new structure.  If approved, the Cabinet will enter into an agreement with the county and fund 80% of the estimated cost.  Work must be completed by a KYTC prequalified contractor.
  • Flex Funds
    Flex fund amounts are determined by the condition of the state roads in each county.  The better condition the state roads in a county are in, the more flex funding the county receives.  To apply for Flex Funds the county must submit form TC 20-34.  After receipt of this form, the appropriate KYTC district personnel will evaluate the roads.  If there are no discrepancies, the Cabinet will enter into an agreement with the county to reimburse the county for work on the roads listed in the agreement. 
200 Mero Street, 6th Floor EastFrankfortKY40622KY8:00am-4:30pm EST, M-F(502) 564-2060(502),+Frankfort,+Franklin,+Kentucky+40601&gl=us&sqi=2&z=16&iwloc=A

Follow Us