The Adopt-A-Highway program is a statewide effort to reduce roadside litter and to keep Kentucky’s highways beautiful. Litter-free roads promote a clean environment, foster civic pride and save taxpayer dollars.
Kentucky has participated in the International Adopt-A-Highway Program since 1988. We have 26,000 miles of State Primary, State Secondary, State Supplemental and Rural Secondary Roads. We do not cover any interstates or parkways. Currently there are nearly 600 Adopt-A-Highway Groups in the state, focusing on over 2,100 miles of road. With more involvement, we can maintain more roads.
Adopt-a-Highway Program Information:
- There is no fee associated with adopting a roadway.
- Any permanently established business, association, community or public organization, or government entity can adopt a stretch of highway.
- Participation in the Adopt-a-Highway program is on a volunteer basis. KYTC does not compensate groups or individual participants.
- Participants must be at least 13 years of age. Anyone under age 18 must be supervised by an adult.
- Groups agree to adopt a minimum of two miles for a period of two years, and may renew the contract at the end of the two years.
- Groups commit to at least four cleanups a year, three of which may coincide with KYTC's annual cleanup events: Spring Clean, Summer Scrub, and Fall Sweep.
- Cleanups involve both sides of the road within the adopted section.
- KYTC provides volunteer groups with safety vests, trash bags, and warning signs.
- All groups must review the Roadside Safety Brochure with all participants before each cleanup.
- Filled trash bags will be picked up by KYTC Maintenance Crews.
- One sign will be installed on the adopted roadway with the name of the organization/group, or the name of the person in whose memory it has been adopted.
- Groups are to complete a Cleanup Summary form after each cleanup detailing their cleanup efforts.
- Contact one of our Adopt-A-Highway District Coordinators to learn more about the program and to identify available highways in your area.
Cleanup Event Dates: