Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does the lien holder hold the title in Kentucky?

A: No. The title is sent to the owner.​

Q: What vehicles have to be inspected in Kentucky before titling?

A: Kentucky does not have a vehicle safety inspection requirement. However, all cars entering Kentucky must have the vehicle identification number inspected by the sheriff in the county in which they are to be registered. The only exception belongs to new cars handled by Kentucky dealers which do not have to be inspected.

NOTE:Unlike some states, in Kentucky license plates remain with the vehicle.  Registration for passenger cars and 10,000-pound trucks expire the last day of the owner's birth month.​

Q: Does Kentucky require proof of insurance?
A: Kentucky law enacted in 1984 requires the County Clerk to take up documentary proof of liability insurance before renewing or transferring a registration of a motor vehicle.  This does not apply to trailers.  Your insurance company will provide this document for you.
Q: I am out of state and unable to get my vehicle back to KY before I apply for a title and registration. How can my vehicle be inspected?

A: Motor vehicles purchased in another state by persons who are residents of Kentucky but are temporarily residing out of state for at least thirty (30) days, but not longer than nine (9) months, may have the vehicle inspected by the state police, a local law enforcement agency, or the vehicle inspection program of another state. Vehicles owned by members of the armed forces may be inspected by the provost marshal or similar officer. The form needed for an out of state inspection can be found here: Form TC 96-229

Q: How do you register and title a vehicle from a foreign country?

A: Here are the three main countries we deal with.

  • Canada: Submit a Canada registration and HS-7 or 7501 from US Customs.
  • Germany: Need vehicle title documents as ownership and HS-7 or 7501 form from US Customs.
  • Switzerland: Registration only. Need registration and HS-7 or 7501 form from US Customs.

All registrations will have to be translated.

All other countries please call Vehicle Licensing at 502-564-1257.

Q: What documents are required for registration renewal?
A: Kentucky Certificate of Registration, Current and original KY proof of insurance and Payment of registration fees and property tax.
Q: How much does it cost to renew a registration?
Q: What are the available options to renew a registration?

1. The documentation and fees must be mailed to the County Clerk in the county of residence. Current Registration, Proof of Insurance Card, and  Fees as outlined on the Renewal/Tax Notice sent by the Kentucky Revenue Cabinet. If a tax notice was not received, you can contact your County Clerk.
2. Renewals are processed the same day they are received and returned to you. The entire process typically takes 4-5 days.
3. In addition to the plate renewal and tax fees, there is a $2.00 fee for mail in renewals.
4. Customers must pay by check or money order made out to “KY State Treasurer”.

ONLINE (Only Standard Issue Passenger Plates may be renewed online)
1. NOTE: Leased vehicles can not be renewed online. For all other vehicles, have the customer go to the following url:
2. To renew online, the vehicle must be currently insured with a company that is registered with the Kentucky Office of Insurance
3. Acceptable methods of payment are Visa and Mastercard.
4. There is a $5.00 convenience fee for using this service.
5. You renewal should be processed and the decal returned to you within 5-7 working days.
1. Advise the customer to present at the County Clerk’s office with the following documentation: Kentucky certificate of registration,Current and original KY proof of insurance, and Payment of registration fees and property tax
2. Contact the County Clerks office for acceptable methods of payment.
To locate the local County Clerks office,go to the following site:

Contact Information Contact Info
Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
200 Mero Street
Frankfort, KY 40622

PO Box 2014
Frankfort, KY 40602-2014

Phone: (502) 564-1257
Fax: (502) 564-0471
Email: MVL Helpdesk
Map it

 County Clerk Connection Newsletters

2013 3rd quarter
2013 2nd quarter
2013 1st quarter
2012 4th Quarter